Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

what's for dinner?

This is something that I think about A LOT... not just at the time that I am about to prepare dinner. This is something that is also constantly asked of me before I start making dinner, while I am making dinner, and as everyone is running to the table to consume dinner. (Sometimes even when they are staring at the plate in front of them)

Most people who know me, know I love to cook. If you ask my husband, he'll probably tell you I have never made the same thing twice... not true, but it does give you an idea how often I am trying something new, or making up a recipe, etc. Luckily for him, I have drastically improved in my cooking skills in the 10 years that we have been married.

What's my secret to good cooking? LOTS and lots of practice. Lots of trying things that didn't work, and finding what does. Finding good resources... cookbooks, magazines, BLOGS, websites. So, what are my favorites, and what did I make for dinner tonight?

Lets start with cookbooks. I LOVE them. I could flip through colorful pages of food all day. But, my all time go to? The "cooking bible" 
The Joy of Cooking
The only draw back? It is not fully illustrated and when it does have a very occasional picture, it's a black & white illustration - not the best for a visual foodie, but when I want to learn something, like how to de-bone a chicken breast, or where I learned to brine a turkey for the BEST turkey ever? This is where I learned it... this is the book that taught me how to cook, once I was on my own as a new wife.
This is the book that I got my "famous" delicious, melt in your mouth, take you to heaven buttermilk pancakes recipe.

Now this is just 1 of my quite large cookbook collection... but this is THE one I use most often.

The other item in my cupboard that I refer to most, my recipe box. This is a nice little box packed with recipes that I have gathered from family & friends. If recipes make it into this box, they are gold. They are going to stay there forever. The recipe cards are worn, well used and sometime spilled upon... especially if they are frequented a lot (and depending on who is helping me cook that day) Some of my favorites?
  • My mother's Rhubarb Pie recipe, passed on from her father
  • My Pie Crust recipe
  • Adrianne's Crepe recipe (SOOO yum!) 
  • My mother-in-laws Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (we call them cowboy cookies)
  • Laura's Sweet Potato Casserole
  • Thai Coconut Curry recipe & Mock Chipotle Burrito recipe that I got from Danielle
And so many more.

What do I do if I want something new? Something not from my current collection of recipes? I go to the web. I have many sites bookmarked, but right now my all time fav? Our Best Bites
In addition to delicious recipes (I have made at least half the recipes on there so far, and have yet to make something I didn't like) they have absolutely stunning photography. I am definitely a fan.

So, what did I make for dinner?


It was a huge hit. Thanks Kate & Sara! You ladies are amazing! They have wonderful, inventive and delicious recipes in addition to frequent tips and tricks. Who doesn't love to learn new tricks? It is sites like these that inspire me to keep up the work of preparing not only good food, but delicious and beautiful food.

I believe that food is one way we show love to our families and ourselves. Who doesn't like to sit down to a wonderful meal, surrounded by those you love and love you back? I am so thankful for a mother that always prepared dinner for us, and that we almost always sat around the table together to eat. What a wonderful memory. The family that eats together, plays together and prays together... stays together!

So, my question to you is, what did you have for dinner?
Additional favorite food websites are in my favorites bar on the left.

3 comments:

Kate @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh, my goodness, thank you so much for mentioning us! I'm so glad everything you've made so far has been good...you'll have to let us know when you find that bad one hiding in the corners... :)

grammaDawn said...

Now that it's just Don, Chalynn and I dinner isn't the same as it used to be, however I still cook most dinners. My favorite is meat kabobs that Chalynn found on her Minnie Mouse's Kitchen computer game.

Honor said...

the banana bread in that cookbook is the BEST. seriously, try it.