Let me just preface the pictures with, this race was dirty!!
Here we are waiting for our last teammate.
Aren't we so clean looking? Oh, just you wait!
So off we ran into the morning... not knowing exactly what was waiting for us on the trails. I think if some knew, they would have turned back.
Every year the Greater Columbia Marine Foundation hosts the largest Mud Run in North America. The race attracts thousands of people from all over the Southeast and beyond. The USMC Ultimate Challenge Mud Run is over 4.5 miles, and has 32 obstacles that have to be crossed by each team requiring team work and a lot of determination. The 4.5-mile course is an all-terrain race conducted on dirt roads, improved and unimproved trails through the training area. These trails include mud holes, walls, trenches and other obstacles that require swimming, crawling, climbing and jumping. Some people come to compete, but many come just to complete!
We were here just to complete. A team of rookie racers (I was the only one who had ever run in a race before... some, whom will remain nameless, had never run before... before they started training for this event)
We were here just to complete. A team of rookie racers (I was the only one who had ever run in a race before... some, whom will remain nameless, had never run before... before they started training for this event)
Our team post race
| Mike (already sprayed down w/firehose,) James, Travis & Me |
| Look at the difference! Yuck! |
A lot of people just trashed their shoes. This trailer was one of the places people were tossing them into. It was overflowing. The huge dumpster behind that was also filling up... also clothing items too. In the very back (behind that huge crowd of people) are the showers.
On site they had showers...they were crazy! You line up, the water started & you had 2 min to try & improve the mud situation before the water shuts off & your herded out. So you don't exactly get that clean... more just rinsed enough to not feel like a hardening statue (after multiple rounds.) Next year I might just run in a swimsuit. It might make it easier, no muddy clothes to try & rinse off. And yes, amazingly my clothes and I eventually came clean. (5 showers on site, one VERY long one at home!)Over 14,000 people participated in this event. It was CRAZY, dirty, oh so dirty... and fun. I am gearing up for next year. I already have my team lined up. And YES... Devin is doing it with me next time!
6 comments:
Good for you....I will miss our Pineapple run this year...I would have run that MUD run w/you...fun..fun...and dirty, right up my alley!=-)Miss you friend!!=-)
That looks awesome. I think I might even get into a run like that.
Have I ever mentioned how pretty you are? I don't care that you are covered in mud. You are gorgeous.
I'm thinking they need the Curtis 'ugle drink' in that race. It would be very fitting, don't you think?
That looks like so much fun! I might have to do that next year. I'm sure Jacob would have a blast with me. Love the pictures, thanks for sharing.
Looking good, although the mud on your nose and cheeks looks a bit contrived... I'm glad you found another outlet for your desire to inflict dirt, torture and teamwork on others. :) Miss you.
That sounds so fun!
Post a Comment